Course Information: Learning Theory, also known as behaviorism, is a theory of learning based on the idea that all behaviors are acquired through conditioning. Learning theory studies how a dog’s behavior results from stimuli presented to the dog, controlling for as many other variables as possible. Emphasis is on how dogs learn new behaviors, and what motivates them to change or remain the same. There is required homework, quizzes and a final exam to earn credits for this course.
This course is very heavy in homework. When you successfully complete this course, you WILL have a very good understanding of Learning Theory.
Prerequisites: You must have a video camera for this course.
Enjoy this sample of student, Nicole LaBrecque, as she free shapes Sasha to “whisper” (low growl) as one of her homework assignments.
What you can expect to learn from this course:
- Students will learn the meaning and applications of the terms in Learning Theory in dogs
- Stimulus and response
- Operant and classical conditioning
- Punishment and extinction
- NOTE: You will be expected to send in both writing (description) and video a demonstration of the above terms including a sample of operant conditioning, a sample of classical conditioning, extinction of a behavior, etc. You will not be expected to demonstrate any negative or cruel behaviors by video, but you will be required to send in a written description of these.
- There is NO better way to REALLY learn these terms than to have to sit down and define them in writing, make a plan to show it by video, and then actually demonstrate it by video. This is LEARNING theory in dogs in action…just what we expect the dogs to do.
Instructor: Janis Crary, CPDT-KA, CGC Evaluator
(Author: Susan Sharpe)
Course Length: 4 one hour sessions
CCPDT – 18 CPDT-KA CEUs
IAABC – 8 CEUs
Course Cost – $250.00
For Credit-Access to this course will expire in 6 months.
For Audit-Access to this course will expire in 2 months.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.