The CPDT-KA Exam Study Course will help prepare you to successfully complete the Certified Professional Dog Trainer Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) Exam
Are you a serious professional dog trainer who is interested in gaining the knowledge to successfully complete the Certified Professional Dog Trainer Knowledge-Assessed (CPDT-KA) Exam? Whether you are new to the profession or seasoned as a dog training instructor, you will increase your understanding of the science and art of learning, canine development, behavior, ethology, husbandry and health through the CPDT-KA Exam Study course. There’s something here for all dedicated dog trainers to enhance your understanding and ability to work with dogs and their people. Plus, by taking this informative course, you’ll gain access to a reliable cohort of professional trainers across the nation that is also studying for the exam. This network provides encouragement and support, with the guidance of the instructor and successful CPDT-KA certificants, to assist you in your exam preparation. Become the newest certified CPDT-KA in your state and position yourself at the top of the industry!
Course Date: This is primarily a self-study course, designed to familiarize you with every topic included in the CPDT-KA certification exam. There are 7 pre-recorded lectures, one corresponding to each topic. You can listen to each lecture at your convenience, and as often as you like. Following each lecture is a quiz on that particular topic, which you can take as often as you like.
Instructor: Catherine Comden, BA, CPDT-KA
What you can expect to learn from this course:
- Professional practices and ethics as prescribed by the CCPDT, including the Humane Hierarchy and how that applies to real-world dog training, and an explanation of the ethical statement that CPDT-KA applicants are required to sign.
- Learning theory and application: classical and operant conditioning, cues, stimulus control, shaping, management, Premack and Thorndike’s principles, and how these are applied to training plans.
- Thorough understanding of training equipment: proper uses, advantages and disadvantages, including a discussion of tools which are considered aversive.
- Instructional skills: inter and intrapersonal communication, learning styles, classroom preparation and management and techniques for dealing with difficult clients.
- Canine body language, normal and abnormal canine behavior for intact and neutered female and male dogs, aggression, signals of stress, cut-off signals, fear behaviors, appetitive and elimination behavior and more.
- Current theories on the history of canine domestication, facts about canine development through all life stages including puppies, adolescent, adult and senior dogs, tour through classifications of dogs and their breed tendencies.
- Canine health and husbandry: basic nutrition, grooming, parasites, current vaccination guidelines and infectious diseases, symptoms which may limit a dog’s participation in training and emergency first aid.
Text and required supplies: There are no textbooks required for the CPDT-KA Exam Study Coursebut it is strongly recommended that each student review the CCPDT’s recommended reading list for the exam.
- There is a practice quiz at the end of each lesson.
Final Exam: The CPDT-KA Exam Study Course final exam will be a written exam consisting of 100 questions to be completed within 90 minutes. The final exam will be multiple choice and true/false. Questions are written to best mimic the CPDT-KA exam.
Live Web Chats: There will be two live web chats scheduled before the start of each exam period. This is your opportunity to bring questions for discussion and review. If you find there is a concept you are having difficulty with or simply would like more clarification, chances are another student has the same question. Of course, students are always welcome to contact the instructor via email at any time.
Facebook Group: Students will be allowed access to an active group on Facebook where study questions are given and discussed. Each cohort of students is invited to continue participation after their exam period so that they may, in turn, encourage and assist new students in preparation. This has grown to be a congenial and safe place to discuss training methods and prepare for the exam.
Registrants will receive:
- Information about the certification qualifications and application process.
- Systematic review of the CPDT-KA test subjects.
- Downloadable, written notes for every lesson.
- Relevant and informative, printable study sheets and worksheets.
- Access to live web chats for real time group study.
- Access to an active Facebook group with quiz questions and discussion.
- Study tips and hints for taking a computer-based test.
- Email access to a CPDT-KA instructor throughout the course.
We encourage you to prepare well ahead of your desired examination date.
The CPDT-KA Exam Study Course is taught by e-Training instructor, Catherine Comden, CPDT-KA. Catherine has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, over 3 decades of experience training dogs and over 20 years of experience coaching pet owners and teaching students. A former veterinary technician, Catherine was the first veterinary technologist at Purdue University Animal Behavior Clinic and helped design and instruct the original DOGS! Principles and Techniques of Behavior Modification course for veterinarians and trainers. She’s a former homeschooling mom and business owner, an adjunct instructor at Chemeketa Community College and the Behavior Program Manager at Willamette Humane Society in Salem, Oregon
Course length: 7 lessons
Text and required supplies: There are no textbooks required for the CPDT-KA Exam Study Course, but it is strongly recommended that each student review the CCPDT’s recommended reading list for the exam.
CCPDT: 7 CEUs
IAABC: 9.5 CEUs
Course Cost – $185.00
TESTIMONIALS, September, 2016 test cohort: Thanks Cheryl and Catherine, I passed with a very good score. I credit your course with helping me to review and sharpen my understanding of all the areas of knowledge! Monica Hanna, CPDT-KA
“Not only did it prepare me very well for the exam, I learned so much to help me in my business.”
“I just wanted to personally say thanks”
“I wouldn’t have passed without it.”
“This course and no books would be enough to pass.”
“This course takes the misery out of studying for this exam.”
“I credit your course….”
“I doubt if I would have passed without the structure of the program and exam”
TESTIMONIALS, March, 2016 test cohort:
“All in all truly a course I would recommend to everyone who is sitting for the exam.”
“…the class is way harder than the actual test!”
“I passed the exam with flying colors (240/250)”
“…this class helped narrow it down to the most helpful content to focus on”
“91% [pass]… I relied solely on studying this course”
“I was proud of my score”
“I found that this course was great preparation”
TESTIMONIALS, September, 2015 test cohort:
This prep class is the best!
Worth its weight in gold!
“I feel more of a professional now”
TESTIMONIALS, March, 2015 test cohort:
“Recommend the Prep course…”
“Love, love, LOVE E-training for Dogs..”
“I thought the course was amazing…”
“…it was invaluable! “
“I would not have passed without it! “
“…program assisted me in identifying areas where I needed additional work.”
“This course was very instructional and easy to follow.”
“Catherine was also very responsive and helpful with any questions one had. “
“You made me think things through and use my brain.”
” The course did an amazing job of preparing me for the exam…”
“I would definitely recommend the course…”
“Wonderful supportive group!!!!”
The reason I passed the exam
“…it felt like a team effort.”
the course helped me solidify information that I had studied in previous years
I could not have done this without your course!
“…the course helped me solidify information”
“I could never have taken the test with such confidence…”
Thanks Cheryl and Catherine, I passed with a very good score. I credit your course with helping me to review and sharpen my understanding of all the areas of knowledge! Monica Hanna, CPDT-KA
In addition, from a CBCC-KA test participant:
|You asked me to let you know if I passed my CBCC exam. Yes! Received my Certificate this week. I had several last minute questions in May & your group was quick to respond. I had taken this course last fall b/c the CBCC does not offer a study guide. I figured this course would be helpful, it was more than helpful it was invaluable! I encourage everyone to take this & then stay involved with the next students questions and answers. I truly believe answering your questions was what gave me the proper foundation for passing the CBCC exam. Thank you! Melissa M. Hatfield M.S., CBCC|
Student Information: Please go to www.CCPDT.org and read before enrolling for this course. We also recommend reading the current Candidate Handbook.
CCPDT Affiliation Disclaimer:
Please note that this course is not affiliated with nor endorsed by the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT). To prevent any conflicts of interest in both the presentation of this material and the CCDPT, certification by the CCPDT is independent from this study preparation.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.