Psychiatric service dogs and their extraordinary power to transform lives
One in four Americans suffers from mental illness – yet less than a third of those people will receive treatment, often due to financial barriers and the stigma around mental health. The expansive need and demand for psychiatric service dogs exceeds the organizations, individuals adequately trained and knowledgeable in this specialized field. Join Jane Miller, owner of Healing Companions in this webinar designed to educate dog trainers, mental health professionals and everyone impacted by mental illness in navigating the complicated world of psychiatric service dogs.
You will learn:
- What is a psychiatric service dog?
- A psychiatric service dog in training?
- A therapy dog? An ESA?
- PSD, SDIT, ADA, Assistance Dogs & Service Dogs vs. Therapy Dogs (Glossary of Terms provided as Handout)
- Discussion about ADA and conditions that apply for someone being qualified for a PSD
- Navigate through the complexities of the laws, terminology and extensive misinformation presented in the media
- Examples and discussion of options and possibilities of specific tasks based on the individuals needs
Stories and client will share the benefits and pros and cons
- Additional discussion that includes costs, care, addition of PSD to family. Collaborated with mental health professional
Available as a recording.
2 IAABC CEU’s
2 CCPDT CEU’s (CPDT-KA and CBCC-KA)
2 NADOI CEU’s
NOTE: Both the Live and the Recording are approved for the same amount of CEUs.
Members of APDT, CCPDT, IAABC, PPG, IACP, KPA, NACSW or NADOI receive over 25% off. All Lecture Series Webinars are only $18.00 each. See instructions below on how to find the password to take part in this professional discount.