Purpose of Course: “Becoming a Behavior Consultant, the Human in the Middle” is an intensive 13 lesson course designed to give an in depth introduction to the scientific, ethical, theoretical and practical knowledge needed by a well-rounded professional animal behavior consultant. If you are attempting certification with CCPDT, IAABC or NADOI, this course will be of great help aligning you with the principles of those organizations and preparing for their certification tests. If you are a serious student of animal behavior, dogs and the people they captivate, this course will open doors to a lifetime of ongoing learning.
Instructor: Chris Redenbach CDBC, CBCC-KA
Course Overview: The student will gain an understanding of the knowledge they need to be an expert canine behavior consultant. There are many aspects animal behaviorists study in a 4 or more year colleges education, such as ethics, scientific method, logic, human psychological dynamics, ethology, comparative psychology, normal/abnormal physiology and much more. Though this course will not cover everything a behaviorist studies and masters, we will provide a background in many of these in this course and set you up to further your studies in these areas as you desire. This course will give you exposure to this information and a good direction in filling in your knowledge as you become a canine behavior consultant.
The final homework will require you to prepare a formal case study. This case study can be used as part of your application to the IAABC or NADOI (along with other requirements only you can provide). We want to see you take the knowledge gained from this course and become a Certified member of the IAABC or NADOI. It will also help prepare you for the CBCC-KA exam.
- 13 lessons
- There are two required affordable texts (see below).
- Homework includes written assignments, professional correspondence, and a study critiquing a paper.
- Each chapter has a quiz
- Final exam
- Final homework is a formal case study with Instructor guidance and individual feedback.
“This course really challenged me”
I am grateful, and more proficient in my practice by taking this course.
Two Required Texts:
Also available as an Ebook:
Chris Redenbach holds a CDBC from IAABC since 2006 and a CBCC-KA since the first year it was offered. She has been a dog trainer and breeder and competitor of working dogs for over 35 years, has taught credit courses in animal behavior to veterinary technician degree candidates at Camden County College outside Philadelphia and owns her own behavior consulting business in Atlanta. She has given seminars, radio and TV interviews, and has written numerous articles for the dog press.
Ms Redenbach enjoys her Bouviers, reading ethology, listening to world music, classical and jazz and taking college courses in various subjects. She speaks Portuguese and muddles through in French and Spanish.
The course has chapters in
- The practical aspects necessary to prepare to do a behavior consulting business,
- formulating history questionnaires,
- keeping records and contracts,
- privacy rights,
- safety precautions,
- Working through the details of
- phone contacts
- actual hands on assessment appointments,
- formulating behavior change plans,
- including relationship and species appropriate enhancements.
- the humane hierarchy
- Dealing with clients’ receptivity and obstructionist family dynamics
- Fundamentals of dog behavior: normalcy, causes of imbalances; problems
- Professionalism and building a team,
- Professional and personal ethics,
- Best practices in consulting
- How to employ logic and recognize logical fallacies,
- Using the scientific method
- Evaluating behavior studies
- A review of related fields in animal behavior studies like
- physiology based behavior
- comparative cognition,
- Piagetian constructivism as relates to ethology
- applied behavior analysis,
- counseling psychology and family dynamics,
- the ethology based science of dog behavior,
- Students will also receive bountiful extra materials in the form of published studies, videos and websites to add to their resources.
IAABC – 24 CEUs
CCPDT – 23 CEUs (23 CEUs for trainers OR 21 CEUs for behavior consultants)
NADOI – 23 CEUs
Payment plan available. Four monthly payments of $105 each. Click on the “Subscribe” button below.
This course is also available “for audit.” This means there are no CEUs, no Certificate of completion, can not be used as part of the Canine Behavior Consultant program, and there is no interaction or feedback with the Instructor. It is “for your information only.”
Audit Cost – $195.00
For Past and Current Students of the Canine Behavior Consultant Certification OR Associate Dog Trainer programs ONLY:
Click HERE to get to password protected page.
Email Cheryl@e-trainingfordogs.com if you are a past or current student of the Canine Behavior Consultant Certification OR Associate Dog Trainer programs for the Password.
Access to this course will expire in 6 months. Therefore, you have 6 months to complete this course from the date of registration.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.