Purpose: This course will provide you with the skills necessary to prepare yourself and your dog for a therapy dog certification.
Course Information: Therapy dog teams work in the area of visitation and/or assisted activities. Most institutions such as hospitals or schools require teams to be Certified. Certifications are achieved by testing and passing a test by a Certified Tester. The Testers are not allowed to have been your trainer. This course prepares you for that test.
- Learn how to train to pass a Therapy Dog Certification Course
- Understand what is a Therapy or Visitation Dog
- Learn the dog skill requirements and how to condition your dog to them
- Learn how to identify proper temperaments and aptitudes of dogs
- Be able to identify unsuitable dogs
- How to be your dog’s advocate
- How to maintain and troubleshoot the Therapy dog
- Be able to effectively communicate with facilities
- Learn the various certifying organizations and where to go to be certified
Prerequisites: Dogs must be Obedience Trained, people and other-dog friendly, well mannered, and 1 year old to be evaluated. Note: Dog does not have to be 1 year old to take this course.
Recommended Text: CULTURE CLASH by Jean Donaldson
This course uses the following special training tools. These need to be purchased by you and can be found online. Please order these prior to taking your first lesson. You can click on the item to find them online.
Instructor: Jan Crary, CPDT-KA, CGC Evaluator
Course Length: 6 lessons
Access to this course will expire in 2 months from the date of registration.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.