Purpose: Understand why your dog may become distracted and how to get him to focus on you. Learn how to train a distracted dog.
Course Information: In this seminar, you will learn how to deal with your dog’s distraction, by understanding why they become distracted as well as techniques to get him focused on you. The concepts of shaping, capturing, lures and prompts will be discussed, and you will understand how and when to use a clicker to successfully teach your dog to pay attention to you, even in the most distracting of situations. You will learn how to use play and attention as an alternative to treats to reinforce your dog for showing impulse control and should have the needed basic skills to capture and shape your dog into focus.
There are many video demonstrations and a short fun quiz at the end to test your knowledge.
- Why are dogs distracted?
- Understanding “shaping” and “how to” shape a behavior
- Understanding “lures and prompts” and “how to” lure/prompt a behavior
- How to use a clicker
- How to use a clicker to gain your dog’s attention
- How to use a clicker to shape a “down”
- How to use targeting to help focus your dog (teaching “touch”)
- How to reinforce good behavior – self-control
- How to train your dog to pay attention to you
- How to train your dog to “look at me” …even in high distractions
Instructor: Renea L. Dahms DipCBST, CDTI, RMT
Course Length: One 60 minute session. You will have unlimited access to this course for 60 days.
Course Fee: $41
Available OnDemand only.
Access to this course will expire in 30 days.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.