Course Information: Learn the skills necessary to train therapy dogs or working therapy dog teams to work in the area of visitation and/or assisted activities. Learn how to train to pass a Therapy Dog Certification Course; understand what is a Therapy or Visitation Dog; learn the dog skill requirements and how to condition your dog to them; how to identify proper temperaments and aptitudes of dogs; identifying the unsuitable dog; how to be the dog’s advocate; maintaining and troubleshooting the Therapy dog; and communication with facilities. Also, learn the various certifying organizations and where to go to be certified. Mixed or purebreds.
Prerequisites: Dog must be Obedience Trained, people and other dog friendly, well mannered, and 1 year old to be evaluated. Note: Dog does not have to be 1 year old to take this course.
Recommended Text: CULTURE CLASH by Jean Donaldson
This course uses the following special training tools recommended by Dog Friendly Miami. These need to be purchased by you and can be found online. Please order these prior to taking your first lesson. You can click on the item to find them online.
Instructor: Jan Crary, CPDT-KA, CGC Evaluator
What you can expect to learn from this course:
- All the skills required to pass a Therapy Dog Certification Course
- Understanding what is a Therapy or Visitation Dog
- Becoming familiar with equipment, and learning to read canine behavior
- Learn the skill requirements for your dog and how to condition your dog to them
- Identifying proper temperaments and aptitudes of dogs and identifying the unsuitable dog
- Learn to be your dog’s advocate
- Maintaining and troubleshooting your Therapy dog
- Communication with facilities
- Learning how to deal with people
- Learn where to go to be certified
- Passing your evaluation
This course approved for 6 CEU’s from the IAABC.
This course approved for 0 CBCC-KA, 6 CPDT-KA CEU’s from the CPDT.
Course Length: 6 one-hour sessions
Access to this course will expire in 6 months. Therefore, you have 6 months to complete this course from the date of registration.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.