Canine Massage Therapy Certification Online
Prerequisites: A basic knowledge of dogs as well as enthusiasm and interest in providing supportive health care through the use of massage to dogs in need.
Purpose: This diploma program strives to develop fully trained, qualified and thoughtful massage practitioners who are able to conduct themselves safely and professionally as members of a canine health care team.
Possible career opportunities on completion of this diploma program: Self employment as a canine massage practitioner or as a employee within a veterinarian clinic, animal rehabilitation facility, humane society, rescue or other supportive canine care facility.
Accreditation: Since there are no formal Accrediting agencies in the United States or Canada for Canine Massage professionals, we have done our best to make sure that our courses are approved by the top organizations both Nationally and Internationally. As such, all of our courses are approved by the IAABC, NADOI and the CCPDT for Continuing Education Credits and Educational Events. We are also applying to the IAAMB. Some schools claim they are approved by their State, but this is only as a business offering educational products, NOT true accreditation. ONLY a University has the ability to offer true accreditation.
What students can expect to learn from this program:
- Eighteen hours of online instruction in anatomy and physiology of canines.
- This provides a unique opportunity to come back to each lesson with questions, concerns and insights after completing your homework assignments.
- Homework assignments that ensure you master the material.
- Students should prepare to complete 6 hours of homework each week.
- Students must successfully complete the canine anatomy and physiology course before enrolling in the introductory canine massage course.
- A Test Out Option from the anatomy and physiology course is available for qualified students.
- Eighteen hours of online instruction in the introduction to canine massage course.
- Students must successfully complete the introduction to canine massage course before enrolling in the advanced canine massage course.
- Fifteen hours of online instruction in the advanced canine massage course that develops specialized massage skills to deal with a wide variety of health issues.
- It also helps students prepare for opening their own clinic.
- Homework assignments and video submissions in both of the massage courses that will ensure you master the massage skills.
- Students should be prepared to complete 6 hours of homework each week.
- There will be a knowledge assessment at the end of each course that ensures students have successfully completed the course requirements and have a level of training that ensures they will be safe when working on their own animals and doing the case studies.
- Lastly students must complete 40 case studies – this means massaging 10 different dogs at least 4 times.
Diploma program length: Students must successfully complete all three required courses as well as the submission of the case study massages.
Students must complete the ENTIRE Canine Massage Certification Program within 24 months of enrollment. There are specific course time limits. Extensions will be granted for extenuating circumstances. Students must send a request in writing to the course instructor requesting an extension no less than 30 days BEFORE the term ends.
Canine Anatomy and Physiology – course completion within 4 months from the date of enrollment
Introduction to Canine Massage – course completion within 6 months from the date of enrollment
Advanced Canine Massage – course completion within 6 months from the date of enrollment
Canine Case Study Submissions (students will complete this as part of the course work in the Introduction to Canine Massage Course and the Advanced Canine Massage Course).Certificate of course completion is only awarded after completion of the Introduction to Canine Massage Course and the Advanced Massage Course. There is no certificate of completion for the Anatomy and Physiology Course. The program Diploma is only awarded after successful completion of all three courses and submission of the case studies as well as the course fees paid in totality.Instructor: Sheilagh O’Sullivan
Fees – there are two methods of payment for this For Credit OnDemand Program –
*Please note that you will only be given access to the first course to start: “Anatomy and Physiology” as they must be taken consecutively.
2. Payment Plan Program of 8 monthly payments of $210.00 USD each for a total course fee of $1680.00 USD
Please read the Payment Plan policy.
Resources and Equipment Needed:
Digital camcorder to video homework.
Access to wide variety of friends and families dogs for practicing canine massage techniques.
A large flat canine dog bed and assorted covers upon which to safely and comfortably practice canine massage. All massages must be on the floor.
A quiet, private massage area.