Purpose: To provide a deeper understanding of canine cognition through discussion of recent scientific progress in this field.
Course Information: Canine Cognition is a six week course appropriate for anyone who wishes to have a better understanding of how dogs ‘think’. Over the last decade, regained scientific interest in the domestic dog has produced a wealth of new information on how dogs perceive and interact with their environment and other animals and people in it. Cognitive research that had previously been reserved for humans and non-human primates was extended to include dogs and with striking results. In this course we will explore what is now known about canine cognition including: Reasoning skills, language capabilities, imitation, social cognition and theory of mind. We will also discuss ideas for how this information might allow us to improve our interactions with dogs in a variety of settings and identify areas where more research is needed. Participants will need to complete homework, video demonstrations, quizzes and a final exam.
What you can expect to learn from this course:
- Overview of research on canine cognition
- Different theoretical structures of cognitive research
- Cognitive differences and similarities between wolves and domestic dogs
- Cognitive differences and similarities between dogs and humans
- How canine social cognition influences human-canine interactions
- The role of environment and experience in the development of cognition
- Challenges in understanding canine cognition and costs of anthropomorphism
- How to apply this knowledge to your interactions with dogs
This course approved for 6 CEU’s from the IAABC.
This course approved for 6 CBCC-KA or CPDT-KA CEU’s from the CPDT.
Instructor: Monique Udell, PhD
Course Length: Six 1 hour sessions
Course Cost –
Access to this course will expire in 6 months. Therefore, you have 6 months to complete this course from the date of registration.
Download Flash Player for free. 98% of computers worldwide already have Flash.
You must also read and agree to the E-Training for Dogs, Inc. Standard Terms and Conditions prior to taking a course: Click HERE to read these. You will be asked when you register if you have read them and will not be allowed to take the course if you do not agree to the terms.